10 August, 2008

the saturday post...


Didn't expect this to come so quickly from Gitta's, but here it is: the Hannah Beeby  1816 Sampler by Timeless Designs.  I've seen Carol working on it, and thought a lovely sampler to add to my little growing collection.  Now to study it a bit, and decide on linen and color....
There's a SAL for this sampler as well, I've joined - it'll help me keep working on it!  It's been a bit quiet on the SAL, and Carol's feeling a bit lonely over there, so hopefully I can keep her some company soon.

As for other news - 
It's weather for Ducks here again, so I yesterday employed the services of my daughter and her friend to help me sandwich Mieke's baby-cord quilt.  They did a lovely job, and DD's friend Kim was really inspired and....after having a chat with her, she wants to try her hand at quilting!  Wonderful no?



Later, while listening to the rain ( after walking the dog in it I might add)  and keeping "the patient" company on the couch, I snuggled under the quilt and began knotting it with found wool that matched perfectly with the fabrics.  It's a good thing it's the temperatures have cooled down!

Have to cut this short, Since Ro can't walk, I've enlisted a friend of ours to accompany me on a long walk with Darwin.  Since my back is a mess, I need help getting Darwin in and out of the car, washed down and rubbed after he's been for a swim.  Also, if he gets stuck in the woods, or water I have a strong pair of arms to help me.
So, let me get into my hunting boots and Barbour and get wet!  

(although I just love these walks with my dog, sometimes, just sometimes, I wish he was a goldfish....today is such a day because it's REALLY bad out there and I'd rather be stitching.....LOL!)


6 comments:

Heidi said...

Are you tie quilting the baby quilt? I have a baby rib cord quilt which I really have to get started on machine quilting. Why do I keep putting it off? Is your back doing badly since you came back from vacation? I am really sorry if it is but can feel your pain. I decided not to get a puppy just recently as it is one I would have to be able to pick up and cannot with my back as it is. Glad you have someone who can go along with you.

Hugs ~
Heidi

Jennifer said...

Hello Heidi,
So glad you decided to be part of my PIF. I haven't gotten much of a response lately, but I have "met" Piko from Japan who has decided to join in also. All three of us also belong to "Quaker Inspired Blog" too!
The quilt is lovely! I have two tops pieced already and must get them out as the weather gets cooler and do the "sandwich" part and begin to quilt them. I have trouble with my back (moreso my shoulder and neck area) and I find it difficult to crawl around on the floor to lay out the quilt tops, batting and backing. If you ever want to share quilting patterns I will be very happy to do that. I have many books and magazines.
I love the Hannah Beeby 1816 piece. This is the style I have come to admire after seeing all the Quaker pieces on the web.
Thanks again for joining in my first PIF. I am also a newby to many of the things that go on with the blogs. I have to get used to all the abbreviations and symbols so I don't look too stupid!

Heidi said...

Hey Heidi!
Nope, the baby quilt was machine stitched, and this one is almost twin-sized and will be knotted because I remember that Mieke wanted to do that.
I'm so sorry to hear you had to delay getting a puppy because of your back! I have chronic back pain, so it's never gone, just less or more. Happily, stitching and quilting provides an excellent distraction and is a much better option than taking meds all the time!

Heidi said...

HI Jennifer!
Well, for the sandwiching part - I try to employ my daughter and her friends. With this one DD and her buddy did all the crawling. It's the most physically difficult part of quilt-making for me.
I'd be happy to share and exchange ideas about books and mags, I have more knitting literature than for cross stitch, and enough for quilting. it's always fun to share and learn together.
As for the abbreviations and learn more blog language: I'm totally there with you! half the time I'm clueless what people are talking about - I wish they would define some of these terms before so it's clear to all readers.

Heidi said...

HI Jennifer!
Well, for the sandwiching part - I try to employ my daughter and her friends. With this one DD and her buddy did all the crawling. It's the most physically difficult part of quilt-making for me.
I'd be happy to share and exchange ideas about books and mags, I have more knitting literature than for cross stitch, and enough for quilting. it's always fun to share and learn together.
As for the abbreviations and learn more blog language: I'm totally there with you! half the time I'm clueless what people are talking about - I wish they would define some of these terms before so it's clear to all readers.

Lily Boot said...

What beautiful texture in those fabrics. And lovely colours too - the tying looks very peaceful and perfect for rainy weather.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails