19 September, 2006

The Dear Jane Project

A couple of years ago, in one of my favorite quiltshops that no longer exsits, I came across a book about a quilt. This quilt was made up of 225 little blocks surrounded by a "icecream cone" border or "kites" just as intricate. The quilt was made by Jane A. Stickle in 1863. Thumbing through the book, seeing the many little blocks with their many little pieces I began to think that one had to be completely mad to start such a venture. I guess I've gone mad.
Then, each time I went to a quiltshop, quilting championship, or other quilting shindig, the book would always pop up. The little blocks kept fascinating me and nibbling at me in the back of my mind. About a year ago, in yet another quiltshop the book lay there again - out of frustration I bought it. I sometimes have that with books: books that you come across in bookshops and they somehow seem to "speak" to you. Well that's what this one did. It came home, got the once over, and put on the shelf, other quilting projects higher on the priority list. In the meantime, surfing on the Net, its surprising how many sites were devoted to this quilt! It seemed a world wide phenomenon. "Fascinating", Spock would say......
To make a long story slightly shorter, I joined the Dear Jane list ( who were these mad women?) and began to learn about this group of wonderful, creative, talented, prolific and full of humour quilters.
I haven't begun yet, but will soon, after the "deadline" projects are completed. In the meantime, I've collected materials, tools and of course, fabric to get started as soon as possible. It's still a bit daunting, but with the help of friends, and certainly my Dear Jane friends, it should work out just fine!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails